Have you ever wanted to do something really great? I mean, above and beyond, of excellent nature, something to remember - that kind of great. Doesn't everyone want to be remembered in a positive way?
However I think there is a problem between our ears - we have the wrong idea of what "great" really is. The world's view promotes greatness by how many movies you've made, and how many bathrooms are in your mansion. This fast-paced society looks to the bank accounts and magazine covers for a definition of greatness. Can I just say - that ain't it.
One of the greatest people I know stands every weekend at the church doors to greet me with a warm smile.
Another one cooks meals for those that are sick and homebound.
Still another one gives freely of her time to read the Bible to prison inmates.
And I know several that help sort out clothes and provisions to give to needy families.
This is true greatness. These are the deeds that will be remembered for eternity. Yet so many of these selfless acts will go without recognition in this life. Too many folks are gazing at the People magazine to get the latest story on their favorite celebrity. Pity.
But - there is ONE who does see every deed done in love. There is ONE who will have the last say of reward and recognition. When we seek to do God's will, and purpose to live our lives so that He is honored...that's a great thing.
In the study of Esther, Beth Moore encourages us to live the great life....and that's simply to live for the greatness of God. It has caused me to pray for God to break off the "small" mentality that religion has put on my mind like a helmet. After all, we're told that (God) is "able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think" in Ephesians 3:20. I don't know about you, but I can think and ask a lot!! But I have the assurance that He can do more! He is not a small God! He is powerful and great! He laid the heavens out and daily displays His glory. He formed every tree and twig, every fish and fowl, every boy and girl. He is great. Let us seek to live the great life - by seeking the greatness of God.
Monday, March 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment