Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Easter Sunday

I was looking at greeting cards in the store, and thought it strange that there were "Easter Cards", and then there were "Easter Cards - Religious". How far we have fallen.

So many people never even give a second thought to an old rugged cross or an empty tomb, yet they celebrate a big rabbit and dyed eggs.


As I reflect on my childhood days, I cannot help but be grateful for Christian parents. Sure, they made some mistakes...everyone does. But they did the best they could, and they loved us. And part of that demonstration of love was teaching us about Jesus. They took us to church every time the doors were open. They read the Bible to us, until we were big enough to read it to them. I can remember our family gathering around together in the living room for devotions - reading the Word of God together, and praying. And they taught us the true meaning of things like Easter. Yes, we had a basket full of goodies, and got to have an Easter egg hunt. But never once did we think that was the real reason for such a day. We knew Jesus was the reason. We acknowledged Good Friday, and recognized that Jesus died for our sins. We needed a Savior, and out of His great love for us, He willingly sacrificed Himself for us, so we could have eternal life with Him. And we celebrated resurrection day - Easter - as Jesus rose to new life on the third day! You see, there's nothing wrong with having an Easter egg hunt - or eating a chocolate rabbit, ears first, thank you. But it is wrong to take Jesus out of the picture.

I'm thankful that mom and dad loved us enough to make sure we knew about Jesus - until that day when we came to know Him for ourselves.


So the picture for today is my brother and I all dressed up for church, on Easter Sunday.


And can I say, "thanks mom and dad. I love you."

3 comments:

  1. Very well put. For the first time this year my daughter in the third grade came home and instead of telling me when the Easter egg hunt was. She told me they were going to have a Spring celebration. It was okay until she asked me when we were going to get her Spring celebration dress. I then sat her down and gently reminded her why it's Easter and the true meaning of Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey old friend!!

    I am loving seeing these photos of you...how adorable! But mostly I love what you shared...those are precious memories...and a great reminder of why we are celebrating...

    Love you friend!! I treasure our friendship!!

    Hugs & Blessings,
    Becky S. at Just Bee 'n Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post, sweet photo, and what faithful parents you had. My parents were faithful taking us to church, but didn't know how to share the faith that much. I knew that Jesus had died for us and He rose back to life. I was more focused on the candy and eggs then, but God revealed Himself to me in my adult life and made Easter precious because of Him. He has melded together my wonderful family memories in with His inviting me into His family.
    Have a blessed Easter!
    Lallee

    ReplyDelete