Sunday, April 12, 2009

He is Risen!



What a great day for any believer...the high point for Christianity. Oh, I know Christmas gets all the lights and fanfare...but without the cross and empty tomb, the manger would have little significance. Praise God for the resurrection!




Luke 24: 2-8


"They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. While they were wondering about this, suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them. In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, "Why do you look for the living among the dead? he is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: 'The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.'" Then they remembered his words."


John 20:19-20


"On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord."




I love reading the story every Easter, and trying to imagine the sights and emotions as the women came to the tomb...only to find it empty. Jesus had previously spoken of his crucifixion and burial, and had even told them he would be raised to life (Matthew 16:21). But now they were experiencing it first hand.




When I visited Israel several years ago, we spent time at the Garden Tomb site. I loved it.





This is the entrance to the tomb. It's surrounded by a beautiful garden, and was a most memorable place for us to have communion together. But I could hardly wait to go inside. I remember taking that first step, and peering inside. And you know what? It's empty!! There is no body, no corpse, no bones. The only thing inside is the sign:



What joy!!! We serve a living God! Not some idol carved out of stone or wood, but the true living God. Hallelujah, He is risen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment